Friday, September 7, 2018

My Entrepreneurship Story

Back in the Spring of 2017, I attended the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens where they were holding their Spring Garden Festival. The festival invites vendors to come and show off their businesses or product they are planning on releasing in the future. The interesting aspect of the festival is the vendors have a background with their products focused on being environmentally friendly which is a very important aspect to people. The vendors show their products to people that are attending the festival and can speak one-on-one with customers about their products and what their company stands for. While I was there, I spoke with Debra and Bill Logeson of Beer Mutts where they use spent grain from their son's brewing company, Green Room Brewing, to make dog treats. The background of their business was very interesting as both Bill and Debra were retired that asked their son what they could do with the spent grain. They said they started making the treats in the kitchen and eventually started selling them after getting a lot of praise from friends and family. I bought a bag for my dogs back home in Jacksonville and they loved them. It was a cool story on how Debra and Bill started their business.

I enrolled in Principles of Entrepreneurship because I am interested in starting my own business after college. I'm really into video games, especially the concept of arcades and how their recent decline due to gaming consoles becoming the norm. I was looking into the idea of a virtual reality arcade since virtual reality is still a relatively new concept to the world. I believe it could be a great way to bring back arcades because virtual reality still hasn't hit the price where it is feasible for the general consumer. Along with that, not a lot of people have experienced a virtual reality headset which I believe it could be a great way for people to come and enjoy the experience with friends and family. What I hope to get out of this class is how to become an effective entrepreneur when it comes to running a business. Not only that, as I am an advertising major, the class could also help me develop skills that I could use if I start doing freelance work for companies or individuals in the industry.

Here is a picture of Bill and Debra Logeson in Jacksonville that I pulled from an article at the Ponta Vedra Recorder. Link to Article

3 comments:

  1. Sean,

    That is a pretty sweet entrepreneurial story. Using their son's spent grain to make dog treats is certainly a prime example of both efficiency and environmental friendliness. Debra and Bill are certainly entrepreneurs.

    I am also interested in starting my own business so we have that in common; however, I do not play video games at all so we don't have that in common.

    I know very little about virtual reality, but it sounds like there definitely could be opportunity there with regard to creating a virtual reality arcade. I wish you the best of luck if you choose to pursue that venture.

    Hopefully this class will help you develop your idea more fully and get feedback from your prototypical customers/consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,
    This is a really cool entrepreneurial journey that you have described here. Your trip to the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens seems like it was a really fun and intriguing trip. You met new people and made connections which is always a good thing to do. Also, I am really intrigued by your ideas regarding the virtual reality arcade. This seems like an amazing opportunity for you to pursue. Good luck with that and great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean,
    Your story is pretty interesting and I like video games as well. I know that virtual reality is pretty awesome when you play games with it. However I did not know a lot about it. It is pretty attractive topic nowadays. It would absolutely very interesting to start a business with virtual reality and video games. Hope you can reach your goal in this class.

    ReplyDelete